Friday 13 February 2015

Lighter Nights and Night Lights


I have been rather obsessively monitoring the times of sunrise and sunset since returning to work after the Christmas and New Year break. It's almost as if I believe that the closer attention I pay, the earlier sunrise will get and the later sunset will be. However, I'm pleased to see that the longer days have become so noticeable that I have almost given up checking the times. I've even managed to cycle home from work on a couple of occasions without the need for lights and that's brilliant news from my perspective.

It therefore seems a bit ironic that I'm about to showcase a couple of night lights that I've made. Mind you, however light the morning and evenings get, the night is always dark - at least in my bit of the UK - so perhaps there is always a call for night lights after all?

I'd always rather liked the idea of a solar-powered night light and really liked the Sun Jar that appeared on the high street a few years ago. When it first appeared the cost was around £40, which was a bit steep for me, so I set about trying to see if it would be possible to make one myself. Well, how hard could it be? A clip-top jar and a solar light, right?

Please may I present what it's possible to do with an Ikea jar (£1.25), can of Plastikote glass etching spray (£6), a Wilkinsons' solar garden light (£1.25), and a small bit of clear silicone sealant. Oh, and a circle of kitchen foil to really maximise the light!




OK, so it doesn't quite have the warm, bright glow of an authentic Sun Jar, which is why I called it a Moon Jar. Fortunately my godson is fascinated with the moon and so it went down a storm as his birthday present last year. The only catch is that his parents have to remember to switch off the light (a handy switch inside the lid) and put it on the windowsill of his bedroom every morning to ensure it's fully charged to be turned back on again when it gets to bedtime.

I'm also not convinced that it has the staying power of a Sun Jar - it certainly won't stay on all night - but I have to say, I was pretty pleased with my attempt.

Last weekend I set about making a completely different sort of night light. This one uses a kit along the lines of the lampshade kit that I have already featured. The kit contains materials to make three lanterns, designed to be used with battery-powered tea lights (the real deal with naked flames are an absolute no-no!). My friend had spotted them when ordering her own lampshade and I was tempted to buy a kit for myself, without really thinking through where, what or for whom I may make them. However, it wasn't long before inspiration struck. I could make one into a night light for my godson's little brother who is about to turn two. 

When he first arrived home I presented him with a string of bunting spelling out his name. I had some of the fabric I used left over so thought I'd use this. It took a matter of moments to assemble, possibly helped by the fact that I had already made a few lampshades and this was much smaller and easier to handle. Again, I have to admit to being pleased with the results. Let's just hope it is equally well received as a present next month.





I'm planning on turning the remaining materials in the kit into DIY lantern gifts for a couple of eleven-year-old girls I know, so that they can make their own.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the lighter evenings (darkness falls at 6pm for us now!) & mornings. Loving the moon jar. Your creativity never fails to inspire :-)

    ReplyDelete