Saturday 7 February 2015

An Antidote to Modern Life

A few weeks ago I realised why I find making appliqué blankets so satisfying. I came across an article in The Guardian by neuroscientist, Daniel J Levitin titled Why the modern world is bad for your brain. I'll let you read the article yourself but to recap very briefly, modern technology has enabled us to multitask to such an extent that we have become addicted to it. And this is bad!

What is good for our brains is to spend a decent amount of time concentrating on one task. This is exactly what I do when making a blanket. It involves just enough concentration to keep me focused, but not so much that it is taxing.

Firstly, there is the need to cut out all the fabric shapes that are to be sewn onto the blanket. This is probably the bit that uses the most brain power. Which fabric to use for each shape and making sure you iron the Bondaweb onto the correct side of the fabric.


Next is to decide on the size of the blanket and cut the fleece accordingly - a bit of concentration and accuracy required there.

Once done, you get to use a bit of artistic flair as you decide on your design. Since I was making a blanket featuring my 'birds on a wire' design I had to mark out the lines and sew them in place first before positioning each bird and ironing it in place.

The process of sewing the birds in place can be a bit mind numbing - a couple of hours of guiding the sewing machine around the edge of each bird - but since my normal working day involves a ridiculous amount of multitasking, I'd say taking my brain to this place is probably a healthy move. Once in my stride I can pretty much zone out and this is where I may have actually done a bit of multitasking. That is if sitting at a sewing machine and listening to the radio can be considered multitasking?



That done, the final step was to pin a hem around the edges and blanket stitch it in place - a quiet few hours on the sofa. Bliss!



After all that, not only did my brain feel restored but I had created something from scratch. Supremely satisfying. Not least because that's my niece's birthday present sorted without having to spend hours traipsing around the shops!

No comments:

Post a Comment