Wednesday 7 January 2015

Box of Surprises

In a few weeks time, two special girls will be turning 11. Surely the perfect age to have your own sewing box? So, thanks to some expert tuition and instruction from my Mum's friend, I have made two 'surprise boxes', each to house a simple sewing kit.


Each box is about 10cm square and 12 cm high and is constructed from stiff card covered with fabric, some of which is also padded. The surprise comes when you take the lid off and all four walls fold out flat. Each wall and the inside of the lid also has a ribbon strap to anchor down various contents. In this case a small pair of scissors, a seam-ripper, a retractable tape measure, a wheel of pins and, hopefully sometime soon, some handy reels of thread.



I've seen a version with an additional, smaller box fixed to the centre of the base inside, which also has fold out flaps, but I decided to keep the centre of the box free. This is so that I could include a pin cushion and co-ordinating needle case.


This is where I get to say "here's one I prepared earlier" as I made these a year or more ago. The pin cushion is needle felted. The needle case is made from felt sheets with the white insert hand sewn in using embroidery thread and the cup cake decoration machine sewn (because I didn't trust my hand sewing to be neat enough, particularly when examined from the back!) A red button acts as the cherry on the cake, in more ways than one. In fact, I got a bit carried away with these so if anyone is in need of a pin cushion and needle case, let me know!



Now I just need to find some suitable reels of thread, preferably ones that will tuck behind the ribbon straps, to complete the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment