Sunday 7 December 2014

Party Food

It has been a busy few weeks with lots of birthdays to celebrate, including my own, and a few days ago I invited some friends over for an informal gathering. I wanted to serve some simple tapas-style food that involved fresh ingredients and some interesting flavours. It was all very well received (devoured!) and so I thought I’d share some of the recipes with you, in case you have your own party - birthday, Christmas or other - planned.

First up (since everyone asked for the recipe) is a Citrusy Green Quinoa Salad. The secret here is in the dressing. Place about 200g of cooked quinoa in a large bowl (these quantities serve 6-8) and to it add: 75g chopped watercress; 100g chopped fresh spinach; a small, finely chopped onion; 100g toasted, chopped pistachios; 3 tablespoons each of chopped mint and chopped parsley; half a deseeded and diced cucumber; and 1 diced avocado. Mix well. In a separate bowl or jug mix up the following ingredients for the dressing: 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon; 1 teaspoon of ground ginger; 2 teaspoons of sumac; the juice of a lemon; 3 tablespoons of olive oil; and 2 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses.  Just before serving, mix the dressing into the salad ingredients.


Next come a couple of dips: Red Pepper Hummus and Spicy Broad Bean Dip. Both are so simple I almost feel that they are cheating, but if catering for large numbers I think you are allowed some easy dishes and it’s definitely better than buying a tub of dip from the supermarket. I promise, even if you profess to not being able to cook, you will be able to make these.

For the Red Pepper Hummus simply blend the following ingredients up in your food processor: a 400g tin of chickpeas (drained); a couple of roasted red peppers from a jar (drained); a teaspoon of lime juice; a teaspoon of paprika (or smoked paprika if you prefer); a sprinkling of salt and pepper; tahini paste to taste (optional).  I served this with some falafel but toasted pitta would work just as well.

The Spicy Broad Bean Dip involved a bit more cooking, but not much, but its simplicity does rely on being able to buy a jar of Belazu’s Coriander and Cumin Paste.  If you can’t get this, just look to see what else may be available – coriander pesto, ordinary pesto, sundried tomato pesto all would add great flavour or just add chopped fresh coriander and some ground coriander and cumin until you get a flavour you like.  However, for the simple version, start by finely chopping half an onion (or a shallot) and sauté in a bit of olive oil over a low heat until soft. Meanwhile, cook 250g frozen broad beans in boiling water for about 4 minutes and then drain. If you want, reserve a few of the cooked broad beans to decorate, otherwise tip the cooked beans, onion and garlic into a food processor, add 60g of the Belazu paste (or whatever you’re using as a substitute), a 400g tin of butter beans (drained), 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and a large handful of mint leaves. Blitz to a paste and tip into a serving dish. Top with the reserved broad beans, popped out of their shells, a sprig of mint and a swirl of olive oil. This I served with crudités.


The next dish was a Pea, Feta and Basil Frittata.  I found this recipe on the Sainsbury’s Magazine Blog – delicious! They serve it with a tomato salsa but because I had so much else going on, including a tomato sauce, I didn’t bother.


I was very lucky to be given River Cottage Veg Everyday book for my birthday so I couldn’t get away without making something from it.  I chose the Chilli, Cheese and Rosemary Polenta with Tomato Sauce.  I know one of my guests is not partial to chillies so I replaced the chilli flakes with a small pinch of mild chilli powder. I think it was enough to add depth of flavour but not so much that she knew it was in there!


Although perhaps not the most feted dish on the table but my own personal favourite for effort put in and enjoyment received, was the Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Skewers. This is simply cherry tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls and basil leaves threaded onto cocktail skewers. However, the fun bit for me was making the mozzarella. For Christmas last year, friends had given me a cheese-making kit (mozzarella and ricotta).  It contains all you need (except for 8 pints of whole milk and a pair of rubber gloves!) to make both types of cheese. It may initially seem like a bit of a faff but it only takes about an hour and is hugely satisfying. A great present for anyone who likes cooking!



A plate of Parma ham and some sliced Milano salami completed the feast.


No comments:

Post a Comment