Friday 5 December 2014

Fabric Wall Hangings & the Holiday Project (finally!)

When talking about my new duvet cover the other week, I mentioned that I had bought some other similarly smile-inducing fabric and have it as a wall hanging. What I don't think I mentioned was that I had also mounted an off-cut in an embroidery hoop as a picture.

Earlier in the week I found myself at home in daylight hours so grabbed the camera to take some photos to share. For anyone struggling to grasp what I was on about I'm hoping this blog's photos will result in some 'lightbulb' moments when you can actually see what I was blathering on about.

The fabric hanging is about a metre wide and over 2 metres long and, I think, really cheers up a hard-to-reach and very dull wall on the staircase.



You even get little glimpses as you walk up the stairs thanks to the mirrors on the opposite wall.


And, if you didn't already spot it in photo two, here's the off-cut that I mounted in an embroidery hoop.


I liked this effect so much, I managed to salvage a bee and a bug from duvet cover off-cuts and am in the process of making a further two embroidery hoop pictures. It's really easy - just clamp the fabric in the hoop, trim off the excess fabric, and then place some really strong double-sided tape, preferably as wide as the wooden hoop is deep, to anchor it all in place (although I'm currently out of double-sided tape, hence this is still a work in progress).  However, the finished hoops will hang on the wall adjacent to the blackbird.

The back view - the red shows where the double-sided tape goes.
The (incomplete) pair

There, surely that was easier than me trying to describe the various wall-hangings ... and if a picture speaks a thousand words, I've just saved you reading a extra 6,000 words!

Oh yes, and also taking advantage of being home in daylight (December days in the UK have me leaving for work just as it is getting light and getting home well after sunset - bleurghhh!) here's a quick photo to show you how my holiday project turned out.  I did finish it months ago and it has been much worn!


No comments:

Post a Comment