Sunday 3 June 2018

Focusing on the journey rather than the destination

I can't quite believe June is here already. In part, I began this blog to make myself take time out from work and other responsibilities and do something creative. The blogging isn't the creative bit, it's having something I have made. And to have made something to blog about I must have taken time out to make it. Simple, right? Alas, I feel that 2018 hasn't been the most creative year to date. In fact, it has been pretty stressful.

In an attempt to take time out and have something to blog about I decided to give myself a bit of a break today. I made a conscious decision to put aside the 'to do' list. Instead I put the parasol up in the garden and got out my bits and pieces.


Armed with a mug of coffee and the sound of birdsong it couldn't have been any better. Gradually, as the heat increased, the birds quietened and the noise of the city took over. Really it was just background noise, but to help keep the background noise of my own thoughts at bay I reached for a pair of headphones and the reassuring voice of Stephen Fry. I'm not sure I can imagine anything more relaxing.

Anyway, with about a week to go before I head off on holiday I decided I should make good on a promise I made myself over a year ago - to make some felt pouches to transport jewellery. I first made some as Mother's Day gifts last year and so quickly referred back to the post I made then to jog my memory.

Sorting through the scraps of felt it turned out that I didn't have many pieces big enough so the colour palate was fairly limited but am very pleased with the result. They may not be earth-shatteringly original or hugely creative but this very much feels like a situation where the journey is more important than the destination. And when so many of us are rushing around from one thing to the next it is no wonder that we often end up feeling frazzled and frustrated.


Now I just have to decide what to pack inside them to take away. However, that can wait until next weekend since I am determined to make the most of my now very relaxed state. I really should do this more often...



No comments:

Post a Comment