Sunday 9 April 2017

Jewellery Pouches

At Christmas I discovered that my Mum keeps her jewellery in a re-purposed ice-cream tub where it all gets tangled up. I was therefore on a mission to make her something more suitable as a Mother's Day gift. March craft club gave me the perfect opportunity as she was out of the country and so I could finally make something without her knowledge.

Inspired by a small felt pouch I keep two special necklaces in, I dug out my felt supplies and the button box and started playing around with colour combinations. In the end I settled for some large wooden buttons printed with blue flowers, some navy blue and sky blue felt, and some petrol blue embroidery thread.

I took a square of the sky blue felt and folded it in half. I then used this to cut some navy felt the same width but slightly longer so that the finished pouch could be closed with a flap and secured with one of the buttons. Lining up the two folded bits of felt I then sewed around the edges. All that was left to do was to decide on the position of the button, sew it on and cut a button hole.


This arrangement of folded felt gave the finished case three separate pouches - between the fold of the sky blue felt, between the fold of the navy blue felt, and also in the middle between the navy and sky blue felt. Hopefully, this will help separate items and prevent tangling. I then repeated the process in miniature to make a matching pouch for earrings and rings.




I'm pleased to say that my Mum is now back in the country and was delighted to receive the jewellery pouches as a belated Mother's Day gift. Not only will it be a vast improvement on the ice-cream tub but will hopefully also allow her to travel with a selection of necklaces and earrings.

Come to think of it, perhaps I should make myself a set too!



No comments:

Post a Comment