Sunday 26 November 2017

Getting festive

I spent last weekend in Edinburgh catching up with my nieces and very nice it was too. It was a little on the chilly side, thanks to a stiff breeze off the North Sea and beautiful clear skies, but with enough warm clothes on it was a great way to see the city at its best. My visit also happened to coincide with the start of the Edinburgh seasonal festivities, with the Christmas lights being switched on (thanks to Shrek and Princess Fiona) and the opening of the Christmas market.

I hadn't gone intending to do any present shopping as such, mainly because I was at a bit of a loss what to buy anyone this year. However, I had written a list of people that needed as yet unknown gifts and I had this in my pocket. I struck gold in one shop, managing to tick off four names, and the Christmas market solved another two. I returned home feeling very pleased with myself and most definitely in the Christmas spirit.

As a result, I resolved to continue with the festive preparations this weekend, starting with making up a batch of Mulled Cranberry and Red Onion Chutney. It ended up taking much longer than I thought to reduce down to a thick enough consistency so I busied myself making this year's Christmas crackers whilst it bubbled away on the stove.



Having faffed around trying to make crackers a few years ago by sticking wrapping paper onto the inner tubes of kitchen roll and getting in a real mess, I now 'cheat' slightly by buying Christmas cracker kits. The first set I found were in Wilkinsons but I've since found them in my local Oxfam shop, which at least makes me feel slightly better as the money goes to a good cause. I also tend to bulk buy in case the kits aren't available the following year or if next Christmas ends up being a bumper family occasion.

The kits contain pre-cut cardboard crackers with a snap already fixed to the inside and a stack of paper hats and jokes/mottoes. This just leaves you with the task of finding a suitably small gift to go inside, rolling them up and tying something pretty around each end. In the past I have tailored gifts to the recipients and used the crackers as place names. Gifts have included a bicycle bell, USB stick, torch keyring, mini multi tool, a set of measuring spoons, and whisky miniatures,  However, this year the contents are identical and designed to go with a specific course of our Christmas lunch. Not that I can tell you what that is, because the recipients of the crackers will be reading this and there have to be some surprises reserved for the big day!



No comments:

Post a Comment