Sunday 20 August 2017

The Dartmoor Artisan Trail

This week I found out about The Dartmoor Artisan Trail. It's a self-guided trail that takes in visits to some of the best artisans and crafts people living and working in the Dartmoor National Park. It turns out it was named as one of the UK's best travel experiences in 2017 so I feel slightly ashamed that it has taken me until August to hear about it!

The idea of the trail came from photographer and travel writer Suzy Bennett and the website is worth checking out for her photographs alone. You can make your own way between the artisans by car, bicycle or on foot, stopping to take part in workshops (obviously if you've arranged these in advance) or just take a look at the artisan at work. You can even buy something as a memento or for dinner that night.

Yes, that's right - there are edible things on the trail because food producers are included in the 'artisan' category - which is a fact I love. Artisans include painters, print makers, a cider maker, goat and vegetable farmers, a blacksmith, woodworkers, a weaver, a felt maker, a basket maker, a shoemaker, potter, upholster, and a jewellery maker.

I'm already hoping to incorporate an element of the trail on my next trip to Devon, which will hopefully be in a few months' time. I'm sure I will report back here when I return.

If you find yourself in the vicinity, I hope you will be tempted to check it out too.


No comments:

Post a Comment