Sunday 22 January 2017

Macaroons with a twist

I've not made macaroons before and always imagined they were tricky, fragile and temperamental. How wrong I was!

Yesterday was the first craft club of 2017 and I had volunteered to take along some cake for our mid-afternoon snack. Trawling through my recipe folder I found a recipe which I think originally came from the Waitrose Kitchen magazine. It was for Date and Walnut Ricciarelli - a type for macaroon which originates from the Italian city of Siena. I think, traditionally, these are a fairly regular almond macaroon but this version has the added zing of orange zest, a hint of orange blossom water, and sweet chewiness of chopped dates.

The list of instructions was minimal but I was concerned how sloppy the mixture would be and, consequently, how messy they would be to roll into a ball and place onto the baking tray. My concerns were completely unfounded and they turned out just like the picture. They also tasted amazing, with everyone asking for the recipe.


These are definitely going to become part of my repertoire for 2017. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment