Monday 7 September 2015

Autumn Harvest

I have been making the most of the limited good weather this summer to explore some amazing gardens. Some have inspired me to change my own planting and colour schemes, such as this flower bed at Great Chalfield Manor in Wiltshire (I shall definitely be introducing some new foliage in dark red and silver-green as well as some orange blooms to my garden in the spring).



Others have made me hanker after a garden about ten-times the size of the one I have, along with a few thousand pounds spare so that I could own one of Jenny Pickford's wonderful iron and glass sculptures, seen here at The Courts Garden.









However, all these visits meant that my own garden was in need of a little attention this weekend and I became somewhat glad that it is the size it is. A few hours of gentle labour in the lovely sunshine later and I had a sack of clippings ready for the recycling lorry and a wonderful harvest of rhubarb, tomatoes and semi-dried lavender.



This left me the afternoon to decide what to make of my produce. The lavender was pretty simple. Once it was trimmed and tied in bundles I used clothes pegs to clip it to the top of the blinds at the lounge windows, which are rarely closed, to allow it to finish drying. It's also giving a great scent to the room.

Knowing that more tomatoes would be ripening in the next few days I decided to attempt to semi-dry the tomatoes I'd picked, since there's only so much salad I can eat in a week. I followed a Nigella Lawson recipe that she calls 'Moonblush Tomatoes' since she leaves them overnight to 'dry'. Cut each tomato in half and place in a roasting tin, cut side up. Sprinkle with a smattering of sugar, salt and dried herbs (I used oregano). Heat the oven to about 220C or gas mark 7. Once hot, place the trays of tomatoes into the oven and immediately switch it off. Leave the tomatoes in the oven overnight (hence the 'moonblush' name) or all day if you are doing it in the morning. I like to repeat this process once more for good measure.



The result is a soft tomato that is very lightly cooked and has a very intense flavour. I've popped some in the freezer to add a taste of summer to dishes later in the year. The others are in the fridge and are good with pretty much anything but perhaps a risotto, quinoa or Puy lentil salad.



Finally I turned my attention to the rhubarb. Considering the fact that I only have two plants, it was quite a good crop, weighing in at around 630g. With plenty of fruit in the fruit bowl to keep me going for breakfasts and lunches I was put off just cooking it to have with yoghurt and muesli. I also thought making a cake or crumble without enough mouths to feed would be a bit of a killer for my waistline so I scoured all my recipe book indexes to see what else could be done. Riverford's Everyday and Sunday book came up trumps with a Rhubarb and Praline Semifreddo - something that would use all the rhubarb but with the result living in the freezer until I had enough mouths to feed or that could be easily rationed out in (hopefully) non-waist-expanding portions.

First make the praline by toasting 75g flaked almonds in a non-stick frying pan and then adding 50g caster sugar and heating gently until it has melted and coated the nuts. The sugar should turn a dark caramel colour. Tip out the caramel-coated nuts onto some baking paper and allow to cool.



Next, cut up the rhubarb into 1-2cm pieces and cook with 100g caster sugar and the zest and juice of an orange. The recipe asks for 500g of rhubarb but I threw in the lot. The fruit should be tender but still hold its shape. Strain the fruit, reserving the liquid, and chill.


For the next bit you need three fairly large mixing bowls and an electric whisk. In your largest bowl whisk together 4 egg yolks, 50g caster sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence (or vanilla bean paste). Everything will end up in this bowl so it needs to be fairly large. Clean the whisk beaters and in a second bowl whisk 500ml double cream until it forms soft peaks. Clean the whisk beaters again and in the final bowl whisk 4 egg whites until they form soft peaks. Now gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Next, fold in the cream. Finally smash up the praline and fold it into the egg and cream mixture along with the chilled rhubarb. 

Take a large mould or a couple of 1kg loaf tins lined with cling film and carefully fill with the mixture. Wrap in more cling film, carefully pressing it onto the surface of the mixture. Chill for at least 5 hours or until you are ready to eat it. Serve in slices with the reserved rhubarb and orange juice.

I have no idea what it tastes like but I can't wait to find out!


No comments:

Post a Comment