Sunday 21 June 2015

Appliqué Duvet

After a rather stressful week in the office, which included having to deal with three crises and a job interview, there was only one way to spend the weekend. Appliqué!

I have mentioned before how therapeutic I find this sort of sewing, not to mention the drawing of the templates and cutting out the shapes. I also have a project that I've been itching to get to grips with. I have already written about it - a project that combines an unwanted plain grey duvet set and the fabric from a dress I made over 20 years ago to wear to my brother's wedding. I had done a test piece but had ideas to develop a large rabbit template to be the anchor piece in the appliqué design. In the end, I decided that less was more and just stuck with the original flying swifts.

However, the intervening months from making the test piece to actually completing the project, had me questioning the colour of thread I'd used. The weekend therefore began with a quick trip to the local craft shop to find an alternative. The one I chose is more of a red than a pink and suits the bedroom much better.

Mind you, there's therapy and there's a challenge, and this project wasn't quite plain sailing. It's all very well in theory to sew around the edge of a fabric shape but when that fabric shape is at the top end of a king size duvet cover and you can only sew through one thickness of the duvet cover, you end up with an awful lot of fabric to keep out of the way!


Anyway, after an afternoon of semi-concentration with Radio 4 podcasts playing along in the background, not only do I have a new duvet set for the bed but I feel ready to face another week in the office.  Happy days!





1 comment: