Sunday 20 July 2014

Best Laid Plans

So, the plan was to finish my trousers last weekend.  The sewing machine had been fixed and was running like a dream, and Saturday was to be Craft Club - perfect!

Craft club has been going for about 5 years now and sees up to 6 friends getting together one Saturday a month to get creative and have a natter. We tend to meet at about 2pm at someones house and then craft until 6pm, when we sit down to eat.  Obviously there is a mid-afternoon break for tea and cake and we all contribute, taking it in turns to either host, bring cake or provide a main course or side dishes.

July's crafty gathering was fairly select, with just three of us (the others being on holiday or otherwise engaged).  We often start with a bit of a 'show and tell', in this case it took a while as there were changes to be studied in the garden, furniture in the middle of a make-over and a beautiful new bathroom to admire.  There also seemed to be a lot of catching up to do - in fact, I'm sure that the traditional American Quilting Circles, where women within the community would get together to make quilts, was primarily a women's support group - the fact that quilts were made was a useful by-product or an excuse to fool the men!

Anyway, I spent an entirely enjoyable Saturday with friends but can't say much progress was made on the trousers, which were already 70% complete.  I therefore sat down on Sunday morning to finish them off.  With just a tiny bit of top stitching, the hems and fastenings to attach, this happened...

Threadbare!
My local stockist of this particular make of thread is closed on Sundays so I was once again halted in my tracks and the best laid plans to get these ill-fated trousers finished (and ready to wear to work) came to an abrupt halt.

Anyway, I finally got some more thread yesterday so I am pleased to report that the trousers are now finished!  I was going to say 'a week late' but with the sewing machine breaking I guess it's more like a month late.  At least the weather is still warm enough to warrant linen trousers in the office and I can finally wear all those brightly coloured and pattered tops, which I think these charcoal grey trousers will set off nicely!  Happy days...

Worth the wait?

Not the best photo but will try to get a photo of me wearing them to prove that they fit.

As for the next project, I have to admit to getting a bit side-tracked yesterday when picking up the reel of grey thread.  I couldn't resist these beauties and bought 25cm of each.


I've already started but will leave you wondering what I'm up to until my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment